Article by Angela Haldane
When we are stressed – when we lose the plot
WORRY HEALTH OVERWORK
TOO MUCH CHANGE TRAUMA “DRIVEN”
GENETICS (CREATIVE) GRIEFS AGE/STAGE
ADRENALIN → ‘FIGHT/FLIGHT’ → STEROID REACTION
Accelerator ‘freeze / float’ cortisol → pee or cry
(in the midbrain) ↓
OVERLOAD IMMUNE SUPPRESSION
… Serotonin levels go down leading to :
MOOD SWINGS MEMORY FAILURE FLATNESS
POOR DECISIONS PERCEPTION THINKING
FEELING VULNERABLE LOW SELF ESTEEM LOW CONFIDENCE
LETHARGY ISOLATION DARK CLOUD
ESCAPISM SLEEP DISORDERS LIBIDO LOW
Various disorders of the HEART, LUNGS, BOWELS, MUSCLE TENSION, SKIN, NAILS, BONES, HAIR, URINARY TRACT, COLD/SHAKES.
How to get the focus or balance back?
SUSTAINABLY ( ie not a fad, but a new approach to your life)
• take existential breaks – after 12 weeks of hard work, take a long weekend, plan your time
• 'recharge’ one day in seven – rest and relaxation for you
• diet and medicine – protein rich breakfast and take good food options with you to have throughout the day. eg. boiled eggs, crackers, trail mix.
• relate to your loved ones. Deal with unresolved griefs. Relationships can only happen if you are there!
• boost the serotonin with exercise and activities that makes your ‘soul sing’ = laughter, tears, sun exposure, love shown, yell/sing/cheer, worship, visit awesome places and garden. These activities build resilience and recharge your batteries.
• practice “intelligent selfishness” does what you are doing today suit you? If not make it simpler for yourself or get what you need first – before giving to others)
• practice ‘creative celebration’ enjoy the present moment and make it special
• dump frustrations daily – write them down so you don’t wake in the night with them.
• Pull tension out of your body with stretches.
Visit your naturopath for nutritional and herbal medicine (adrenal exhaustion, stress), or your medical doctor for medication to support your cause.